Bite Size Review: Ohana Pulse
Like fine ribbons of smoke from a cigar, great stories in the cigar cosmos emanate from passion, instincts and determination. Some of the best stories involve individual efforts, often choked by challenges, that somehow in the end, win the day. Starting your own cigar company is not for the faint of heart, but like few before him, Ryan Rodriquez set out to make great cigars and got our attention. Rodriquez, with some family help, launched the Fort Worth, Texas-based Ohana Cigars in August, 2014. After some initial success with his M13 and limited-release Friends and Family blends, Rodriguez hooked up with blender, Noel Rojas, and his small Tabacalera New Order of the Ages factory in Estelí, Nicaragua to focus on higher quality. The fruit of this collaboration is the Pulse.
Our Lonsdale is nicely executed, featuring a wonderfully oily, seamless Ecuadorian Habano wrapper with nice touches like a pigtail cap and unfinished foot. Our Pulse is richly fragrant with chocolatey notes. The draw is on the tight side, but improves during the review. The initial tasting is punctuated by a rich chocolatey profile from the unfinished foot and settles into a lush mélange of dark fruit, leather, caramel and a long finish of mocha and wood. Smooth, rich and well-balanced, transitions increase in body with intonations of cedar, caramel, toasted oats and coffee. Combustion is solid throughout, but with a wavy char at times. This is over an hour of ‘holy crap, this is good’ for less than the price of a Chili’s Big Mouth burger, folks. – In Fumo Pax!
Did you Know: Prior to moving to Noel Rojas, the Plasencia factory produced the first generation of Ohana cigars.
- Profile: Med – Full
- Vitola: Lonsdale
- Length / Ring Gauge: 6.5″ x 42
- Purchased: B&M
- Origin: Nicaragua
- Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
- Binder: Nicaraguan
- Filler: Nicaraguan
- Cutter: Colibri V
- Lighter: Colibri Firebird
- Price: $9.12
- Humidor Age: 2 wks.
- Box: 25
- Other Vitolas: Gordo [6″x60], Toro [6″x50], Robusto [5″x50]
N O T E S
Smoke Time: 1:30
Draw: Tight initially
Construction: Nice pigtail cap; unfinished foot; oily; veiny; milk chocolate-colored wrapper; uniformly firm; seamless.
- Wrapper – Chocolate, maplewood
- Foot – Cocoa powder
- Cold Draw – Chocolate, raisins
- Initial: Fudge chocolate notes on draw; profile features dark fruit, leather and caramel; mocha finish with hint of wood; toasted oats and chocolate hints on retro.
- Transition: Sweet cedar and caramel notes; hints of charred wood; earthy finish with hints of coffee; mild bitter aftertaste; hint of dry sherry on retro; savory mix of oats, chocolate and wood on draw.
- Transition: Woody profile with notes of cedar, caramel and coffee; light spice; hints of dark fruit and charred wood; complexity wanes; long coffee and earth finish;
Touch ups: N/A
Recommendation: 1. Boxworthy
- Go-to (boxworthy)
- Yard ‘gar
- Smoke a banana instead